We started off the year with Vision 2020: New Decade, New Possibilities. We’re into a new year, a new decade. These are exciting times also uncertain times.
Then came the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) that has taken the world by storm and has in almost no time rapidly morphed into a pandemic. Sadly countless conferences and events in the community are being cancelled or postponed in this battle against the virus. Many businesses have suffered in Singapore and the region (and now globally). Like everything else before it (SARS, etc), this viral epidemic too shall pass. Sooner or later, the brilliant scientific community will invent the vaccine cure. Else our body will develop the immunity against it. It always does. Meanwhile what we can all do to avoid being infected?
Below are some very interesting and good advice from Dr. Lissa Rankin, a doctor in Whole Health Medicine (Body-Mind-Spirit) and how to stay safe during the time of viral epidemic.
Let’s start with the external things you would normally do to protect yourself (and others) from any virus that is spread by respiratory means.
1. Minimize close contact with people who are sick.
2. Keep your hands away from your eyes, nose, and mouth as much as possible and wash your hands frequently, especially when you’re out and about
3. Stay inside and don’t go out if you’re sick with cold or flu-like symptoms.
4. Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue and dispose of tissues properly.
5. Although we don’t know if this virus lives on surfaces for long, be mindful about cleaning and disinfecting surfaces that could have been infected with an environmentally friendly cleaning spray.
6. The CDC and WHO do not recommend face masks for anyone other than health care workers caring for those with known infection, but celebrities like Kate Hudson and Gwyneth Paltrow are posting on Instagram wearing face masks during plane flights, so people might get the idea that this is what’s recommended. If you insist on wearing a face mask, the N95 respirator mask is the one to wear. But be careful. Greedy people are price gouging and feeding off mass hysteria.
From a holistic health point of view, what else might you do to improve your chances of staying safe during a viral outbreak?
7. Consider immune-boosting supplements, like 10 Mushroom formula.
8. Make sure you’re getting enough Vitamin D.
10. Eat a healthy, balanced diet with lots of organic plants. Limit sugar, caffeine, alcohol, and processed foods.
11. Add green juice to your diet.
Okay, now that we’ve covered the obvious, what else can you do to treat the mind-body-heart-spirit connection?12. Deal with any panic you might feel in an emotionally healthy way, allowing yourself to move through the emotion without getting stuck in it.
13. Induce relaxation responses. Meditate. Pray. Dance. Chant. Make art. Have great sex. Do yoga. Get out in nature. Stay away from the news. You know what relaxes you! Calming your nervous system and helping it reset to relaxation response will give your immune system a boost and optimize your chance to fight off any infection, should you be exposed to it.
14. Connect with loved ones. Love heals. Assuming they’re not sick, surround yourself with people you love and trust and enjoy the boost of endorphins, oxytocin, dopamine, and other healing hormones that can help you fend off viruses naturally.
15. Ask for help from whatever invisible support resonates with you.
The best remedy is to stay calm and remain united. Out of this you will grow stronger and more resilient. And more ready for the new decade.
"There's nothing to fear but fear itself." - Franklin D. Roosevelt